sticks and stones

Yesterday I had the day off work, so I decided to run some errands. I stopped off to get my car washed. As I walked though the waiting area where they have popcorn and lemonade to keep you occupied while you wait for your car to be hand washed by what feels like 5 different people, I decided some ice cold lemonade was in order. I had just taken my second paper cup shooter when I decided to wait outside for my car to be presented all shiny and new. As I walked by a dad and his little boy who was I would guess 5 years old, the little boy started giggling a demonic delighted sort of giggle. He was playing some sort of hand held video game, so his father asked "did you get to the next level?" to which the little boy responded, "Daddy! she fat!". It took me a second to realize the little shit was talking about me. I paused for a moment, and waited for the father to admonish his son for saying that. When he failed to even acknowledge the statement, I responded by saying loud enough for at least one of the dozen or so people in the waiting area to hear me, "yes I am". As I moved outside, I could feel a knot in my throat. Was I going to let the words of a 5 year old, who doesn't know any better, and was most likely taught by example upset me like this? Why did I even feel the need to respond at all? He is correct. I am fat. I am extremely overweight in fact. I am not just fat. I am obese. I have been overweight nearly my whole life. That fact isn't something that is lost on me. I guess I'm just used to it. What that kid said did bother me. It hurt my feelings. I was embarrassed that other people in the waiting area had heard what he said and thought the same thing. That they had laughed to themselves and would later relay the story to their friends and family at the dinner table or over drinks at happy hour. the question I now ask myself is, what am I going to do about it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self- Dstruction

awaiting the arrival of the great pumpkin