what a man!

cadillac margarita and pete beat give good face

********************************************************************************
i love karaoke. i'm not the world's best singer, but i'm not tone deaf. i like to sing in karaoke bars, and i don't need to be 3 sheets to the wind to do it either. I prefer to have had at least one beer before i take the mic, but i don't need to be sloshed to take the stage. A few friday's ago, upon pete's suggestion, i took the show down to The Blue Max on the El Camino in Sunnyvale. I usually hit up Goosetown Lounge in Willow Glen which is usually packed with the young hipster crowd. Blue Max is a little more seasoned. a little less crowded. They have their regulars. observe : that guy apparently sings swwet transvestite from rocky horror every week. in a utilikilt. while weaving through the crowd and rubbing up on "unsuspecting" patrons as he does it. awesome theatredude. awesome.

now, back to the whole reason for this post. I decided I would meet pete beat, his mom (only real OG's party at their mother's favorite watering hole), and a few of his friends, with a few of mine. We got there a little earlier than pete, but his mother was already enjoying herself. mind you, i've never met mama beat, but i knew who she was instantly. There is is thing about our parents, we tend to look like them, or a least embody some of their mannerisms. The bar was spacious, and we were offered table right away. This would never happen at Goosetown. After reviewing my drink options, I chose a shocktop ale (hefeweizen with orange essence and usually a slice for garnish). the max has an all cash bar with a seasoned bartender in manner of carla from cheers---your order comes with a free side of sass! loves it.....once i was properly lubricated, i instructed my friends to select a song for me to sing. i told them i didn't want to know what it was until i was called upon to sing, and they obliged.
it's quite exciting not to know. I love surprises! My friends and I took in the scene as we waited for Pete, and of course the great karaoke song surprise of '09 to reveal itself. The crowd here is an older one. you can tell that it's the kind of place where everybody does in fact, know your name. There is no pretense here, though. everyone is really friendly, and supportive of of one another's on stage efforts. We hear some country, oldies, karaoke bar standards, the beastie boys, metallica....a real mixed bag---quite like the max itself. Finally i hear my name called, so i rush to the stage, grab the mic, and await my fate.....drumroll please......my friends had selected this little ditty mind you i was shocked. pleasantly surprised. well done, ladies. mind you this song doesn't require much singing, but it's quite wordy, so thank god for the teleprompter. I didn't know any of the lyrics by heart aside from the chorus, so i relied heavily on that. I must say, although it was more like spoken word on my end, i had so much fun. I think i may have a new favorite song to add to the arsenal of old favorites i turn to when the karaoke bug bites me arse.

el fin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self- Dstruction

awaiting the arrival of the great pumpkin