music is my boyfriend, music is my best friend

let me see a show of hands: how many of us are embarrassed by some of music we used to listen to when we were pre-teen/ teenagers?

i am willing to bet all of us have some regrettable LPs/cassettes/cds in our collections. i have this book of cds that represent about 15 years of my musical history, between the ages of 10 through 25. i decided to drag this little treasure trove to work with me today (yes on a Saturday. it's okay, we're proving a point to the big cheese) because I would be bored silly otherwise. This CD book has seen better days. the actual book dates back to about 1999, so it's been through college, and it lived most of the time in the trunk or back of my car being stepped on, thrown around, dropped, jumbled, hassled, and generally abused and neglected by its owner.... Not to mention the number of keggers it attended, the contents spilled over many a beer soaked living room floor. As a result most of the cds are in horrible shape, so i've decided before i give it the old heave-ho, to try and save any good music contained within.

hey, wait a minute....there is plenty of good stuff in here. Very autobiographical for me. I spot Sublime's "40oz to freedom" and it's 1998 instantly. I am on the skating around the rink at CalSkate with Rosemary. She dares me to go up to Richie in the DJ booth and request "caress me down". i have huge crush on him and have been coming every other saturday because i know he will be the dj / rink referee.

the violent femmes self titled album catches my eye. I forgot I had this one..I remember sitting in the back of my parent's motor home entering hour six of our eight hour drive to the next camping destination, it's warm and we have all the windows open. my sister mary has brought the cassette player, and we are all singing at top of our lungs as the wind whips through the back of old betsy. dad yells at us to look at something out the window, but we can't hear him over Gordon Gano's wailing "Please, please, please, do not go ohh ohh ohhhhhh!"

blink 182's "cheshire cat" is in the sleeve with the liner notes from "enema of the state" , but where is that album? Just then.... I am driving around in my brand new ford focus with the windows rolled down, blasting this pop -punk-perfection. all my angst is bubbling up to the surface. i play M&Ms on repeat. and again. and again. it's *his* favorite....

The Forrest Gump Soundtrack..an impressive double album. it's the summer of 1995, and I listen to this on a constant loop, then i watch the movie. my mom bought it for me on vhs. it never gets old. it's hot at night. too hot to sleep in my room. so sometimes i go in the living room, open the front door, put the fan on, lay on the floor in the dark and listen to the soundtrack until i fall asleep.

it's a humboldt county friday night, my freshman year of college. lots of people, lots of alcohol, lots of, um , you know, stuff going on. "domino motha fucka!" one of the boys slams his hand on the table, Dr. Dre let's us know that he's still in the game. "the chronic 2000" is in full effect. damn those are some tasty beats.

just a taste, friends, just a a taste.

in no particular order, worst of the worst. forgive me father, for I have sinned:

everclear : so much for the afterglow
avril lavigne : complicated
sugar ray : 14:59
wyclef jean : the carnival
usher: 8701

i hang my head in shame

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self- Dstruction

awaiting the arrival of the great pumpkin