thank you for choking

i have a paranoid fear when i'm in a restaurant, and i hear someone cough, that they are, in fact, starting to
  • choke

  • victor mancini would have scammed me bigtime. i read and loved the book by
  • chuck palahniuk
  • , and the fact that it stars sam rockwell and anjelica huston, two great actors (imdb.com.... look 'em up), makes it even more exciting.

    I have choked badly twice in my life, that i can recall. the first time, i was about 10 years old, and it happened as I was stuffing a piece of chocolate cake into my fat little face. The double layer cake was delicious with thick waves of chocolate frosting, and so there was no way I was going to eat it slowly. The next thing i knew, the way- too-big for my 10 year-old mouth bite was lodged in my throat, and i began to gasp for air. i panicked, and my face turned bright red. i ran towards the refrigerator, scrambling for anything liquid; milk. water. juice. beer. anything. i believe it was a half gallon of fat free milk saved my life that day. as it melted down the ball of chocolate cake stuck in my windpipe, and i gasped for air, i was relieved--but terrified of chocolate cake for a few days.

    the other time occured while camping with my family. i was about 12, and again, i took too big of a bite. this time it was pancakes. i freaked and reached a hand out in desperation. "milk! MILK!" i gasped (which in hind sight means i wasn't really choking. if you're really choking, you can't talk, scream, whisper, or gasp at all)to which my father promptly doubled over in laughter. my mother quickly honored my request. as soon as i had my voice back and everyone could see i was fine, we were all in stitches. i was between laughing and crying. i was mildly traumatized. not necessarily because of the pancakes, but because my father laughed at me!!!! i know if i had really been in trouble, he would have sprung into action, and saved me. However, it was still a little upsetting to see someone laughing at my pleas for help. my family has laughed at the infamous 'milk milk' incident for well over 15 years now. i'm glad to have provided them with such a hilarious memory.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Self- Dstruction

    awaiting the arrival of the great pumpkin