self portrait tuesday

while looking through a photo album with my good friend emily, she pointed out how neat this picture is. sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes with a different perspective to make you see how special something really is.
DSCF1008
grandma murtha. late 30s/early 40s. capitola beach. capitola, california. my family has owned a house there for almost 100 years. i spent most of my summers there as a child. Capitola is a beach resort town that has a rich history that i am proud to say my family is a part of. i have a love/hate relationship with the place (mostly stemming from the parking situation, run-ins with the local meter maids, and some annoying tourists) but i consider myself fortunate to have use of the house at will.

the house was owned by my maternal grandmother, and since my mother and her mother were as close as could be, we would go over there with her for most of the summer, plus many weekends throughout the year. i feel a connection to the house and the town so deep that when my family can no longer share the house and we are forced to sell, i will never be able to set foot there again. For now the it has been left in four equal shares to my mother, her two brothers, and her sister. Just the way my grandma intended.

she was by far the grandparent i feel closest to. i never met her husband because he died before i was born, and my father's parents, while lovely people, i just don't feel connected to. she died in november and i miss her every day. Her death has really make me think about death. i wouldn't say it scares me, but i just wonder.....


personal highlights from last night's golden globes:

-sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Brodrick giving a joint interview to some obnoxious reporter. not only are they abso-fucking-lutely adorable together, they are funny, and their joke about leaving their 3 year old son at home in new york alone was completly lost on that dimwit.

-sandra oh winning for grey's anatomy. not only do i loooooove that show and her character, Dr. Christina Yang, I am a fan of some of her previous work in Sideways, Under The Tuscan Sun, and
  • Double Hapiness


  • - shirley maclaine. eventhough she didn't win in her category, she stayed and partied it up with ryan phillipe, reese witherspoon, and joaquin phoenix. i just love her.

    - harrison ford bringing his drink onstage to present an award. even better when he tried to hide it behind his back. even better than that when he handed it to virginia madsen to hold while he opened the envelope. classic.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Self- Dstruction

    awaiting the arrival of the great pumpkin